Thursday, 21 January 2016

Spirituality and LGBT

Let me start off by saying, I've been wanting to write a blog post about this for some time. I didn't know where to start, as it's a slightly overwhelming subject. But after having a conversation with Elliot Wake on Twitter, I finally decided to to write about what's been on my mind. So I think I am going to just break it down into a few blog posts over the next few weeks.



First, I'm going to give a brief history about myself.

Growing up, I went to a Catholic school from grades 1-8, followed by finishing my high school years at a public school. Not only was I transferring my way of schooling, I was also handling fairly newly separeted parents. I was going into new territory that included: people with various beliefs, jocks, theatre kids, and I can't forget the LGBT community. I may have only written four groups, there are many others that are included.

Now, I guess the assumption is that growing up Catholic, that I'd be judgemental about the LGBT community. But that wasn't the case. It's the same thing as being racist, you're conditioned to be racist, you're not born racist. Also, it's not like when anyone introduces themselves for the first time, they're going to go "Hi my name is Joe, and I'm queer. Is that okay?" Same thing goes for people of faith, someone doesn't introduce and openly declare their faith.

It was then in high school, that I discovered more about myself, on a sexuality and spirituality level. While in elementary school, I grew up with the same group of classmates, and so it's safe to say that even though we may have found classmates attractive, nothing went beyond that.

It was in my high school years that I drifted away from the church, partly due to family reasons, but also, I had no one to connect with at church anymore. But after a faith journey, I've managed to find a niche in the Anglican church. Here I've connected with people my age, and I love how they challenge me and support me along my journey, just as much as I support them. I've also involved myself in the church by teaching the kids sunday school and recently joining the church choir.

So the point of all this is that I'm happy to say that I am bisexual and a woman of faith. It's something I've known about myself for a while now. But till not so long ago, has there been a lady that has tickled my fancy. I am happy to say that I am in a same sex relationship and have been since last June. I'm going to save the juicy details about that for another post.

Since the relationship, I have talked about it with friends and some family members. Some of those friends being from church. Now, it 's safe to assume that when I talked about this, I was hesitant as to how they'd react. While everyone is happy for me, some have made it obvious that they don't necessarily agree with it. Which, I more than happy with that. They knew it didn't change me or how they see me, and for htat I was grateful. Some have opened up and are happy and care about how the relationship is going and stuff.

Was I going to stop going to church and such now that i've opened up? Not even close. But on the other hand, I don't feel closer to God now that I've done this either. But it does make me happy to be able to express myself even in a house of worship.

I do plan on writing more posts about this, I'm not sure what about yet. But if you have any suggestions or questions, let me know in the comments. I love you all and thank you for making me feel comfortable enough in the blogging world to talk about this.
Design by EvieSeo. Powered by Blogger.