Monday, 5 May 2014

Torn Away Blog Tour - Review



Title: Torn Away
Author: Jennifer Brown
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Review Copy: From publisher in exchange of honest review
Born and raised in the Midwest, Jersey Cameron knows all about tornadoes. Or so she thinks. When her town is devastated by a twister, Jersey survives -- but loses her mother, her young sister, and her home. As she struggles to overcome her grief, she's sent to live with her only surviving relatives: first her biological father, then her estranged grandparents.

In an unfamiliar place, Jersey faces a reality she's never considered before -- one in which her mother wasn't perfect, and neither were her grandparents, but they all loved her just the same. Together, they create a new definition of family. And that's something no tornado can touch.


This book pulled at my heart so many times, it hurt. But it was a beautiful hurt. 

You ever have that feeling you might not be able to say goodbye to someone? Or the last thing you'll say to someone you love is something mean? It's books like this that make me hope such things never happen to me or anyone else. 

For once, I'm glad I read this on my Kobo and not as physical copy. Just for the fact of how much crying I did. Starting from her realizing the aftermath of the tornado to when she realized she wasn't wanted by her own father and every other emotional part in between. Basically when you plan on reading this, be sure to have a box of tissues beside you. Trust me, you'll need it.

What I love about these types of stories is the amount of character growth that happens. Now, in the case of this book, one may argue that Jersey is a complainer and whiny. But the fact of the matter is that Jersey lost everything that mattered to her and she wasn't able to grieve. She's thrown into shitty situations after everything happens and finding out who her mom truly was. These discoveries and situations almost amplified the stages of grief. Throughout my reading of this book, I just wanted to hug her and tell her that I'm here to listen.

What I loved is how she kept onto the memories she had with her mom and sister. From keeping her sisters purse with her, to her mom's lipstick. Then writing things that made Marin, her on the pieces of foil. RIP sweetie. *wipes tears from eyes* I can barely write this without getting emotional.

This book is my first book by Jennifer, shockingly. And by golly it won't be my last. She has a way of making the reader feel like you're right there in the main characters situation. I really loved the fact of how real this situation could be. So maybe not down to the tiny detail. But all in all, it worked. Also, thank you Jennifer for not putting a romance just cause you can. This detail made me very happy.



Click the banner for the tour schedule

About the Author

Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.
Jennifer writes and lives in the Kansas City, Missouri area, with her husband and three children.
Links: Website - Twitter - Facebook - Goodreads
Design by EvieSeo. Powered by Blogger.