Thursday, 27 June 2013

Review: Wake by Amanda Hocking


Title: Wake (Watersong #1)
Pages: 320
Release Date: August 7, 2012
Format: ARC
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Review Copy: Own. Gifed from Giselle from Xpresso Reads


Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention—but it’s Gemma who’s attracted theirs.  She’s the one they’ve chosen to be part of their group.

Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door.  He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back.  Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever.  She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove.  They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price.  And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.
(Goodreads)



As a fan of Amanda, I knew if anyone could get me interested in sirens/mermaids, she'd be the one who could. Now, after finishing this book I wasn't screaming "OMG NEED MORE". It's safe to say I'm very interested in the world of sirens.

Having JUST looked up the mythology behind sirens (I swear I just looked it up! Even look at my history. Okay, so you can't see it. Oh just believe me), I knew it wasn't a simple straightforward myth. After having read through it, I think Amanda does an awesome job of explaining it in the book. Warning you, It can be hard to follow, but don't worry. Just reread parts so can grasp it. I know I did.

Now onto Gemma, 16 and Harper, 17. Nine years ago their mom, Nathalie and Harper were in a car accident. After being in a coma for almost six months, Nathalie finally woke up, but with the mind of a teenager. She is in love with Bieber and gets excited over making cookies. Because of this child-like mind, she has to live in a care home. Thus leaving Harper with the responsibilty of her sister. The relationship between the sisters isn't the greates, which is to be expected in such a situation and age.

I loved Gemma's attraction to the water. It brings out my inner fish, now if I could only be a fish. She loved to go out to the bay and swim at night, on top of being on the school swim team. Now if she only knew her love for the sea would be her downfall.

The second I was introduced to Penn, Lexi and Thea, I smelled bad news. They are sirens, or what we call, mermaids. Told to be the Greek daughters of Achelous, god of the river, they are half human, half fish creatures. If you want more details, you'll have to read chapter 9. Their voices draw men from anywhere they can be heard.

I am personally not a fan of a crap load of information just thrown out at once. It can be a lot to process and i find myself rereading it multiple times. This I found the case in regards to chapter 9. Some people like this, others not so much.

On one of Gemma's nightly swims, she hears the sirens call her name. At this point I was like "Gurl, what you think you're doing." *SPOILER* Long story short, she drinks a voodoo potion that turns her into one of these sirens. Reason being, these girls were needing one more to complete their group of four, by the next full moon or else they'd die.  And as Gemma loved the water, they thought she'd be the best canidate.

There are many subplots that involve a hot guy or two that weave itself into the main storyline. Some people don't like this concept and get bored with the story easily because the'yre going "Soooo, this is important why...?"  With this being the first in a series, I try not to judge this. I find in the end subplots usually tie themselves together.

Overall, great start to a series. I am excited to read Lullaby. Amanda has created awesome, well rounded characters. And who knows, I may be falling for the song of the sirens myself.




Design by EvieSeo. Powered by Blogger.